I am a clinical psychologist with over 30 years’ experience working with adults in brief, effective therapy. My private practice is in the lower Pacific Heights/Cow Hollow neighborhood of San Francisco.
My background includes 32 years at Kaiser Permanente providing individual and group psychotherapy to thousands of patients for a variety of different issues. While at Kaiser I:
- Developed regional best practice guidelines for treating anxiety problems
- Created therapy groups for overcoming panic, controlling anxiety, and becoming happier
- Innovated the use of virtual reality therapy to overcome specific fears
- Supervised and trained post-doctoral psychology residents
- Taught self-hypnosis
- Lectured extensively
- Wrote multiple articles and books
- Wrote Kaiser’s first Health Education class on managing anxiety
See my author pages on amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/author/elizabethmcmahon and on GoodReads.com http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/432535.Elizabeth_McMahon.
My Treatment Approach
Because I have experience with a wide variety of therapeutic approaches, I select techniques to match your needs.
My practice emphasizes evidence-based therapies of proven effectiveness, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy. You may also learn relaxation, visualization, self-hypnosis, stress management, or other skills.
Located in a Victorian in lower Pacific Heights/Cow Hollow, my office offers a quiet, private, professional environment.
Parking is available on the street or in the Lombard Street parking garage (2055 Lombard Street with an entrance on Moulton Street off Webster Street). My office is also easily reached by MUNI lines 22, 30, 41, 43, and 45. It is not wheelchair-accessible.
- B.A. in Psychology, Earlham College
- M.A. in Psychology, Case Western Reserve University
- Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Virginia Medical Center
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Case Western Reserve University
- Post-Doctoral Residency, Sheppard-Pratt Psychiatric Hospital
- California Psychologist License PSY 6737
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- American Psychological Association
- California Psychological Association
- San Francisco Psychological Association
- The Society of Psychological Hypnosis
Experience & Awards:
- Best Practices Champion for Anxiety Disorders for Kaiser Psychiatry
- Helped develop Kaiser Psychiatry Best Practices for Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Wrote Kaiser Health Education class on Managing Anxiety
- Twice Past President, San Francisco Academy of Hypnosis
- Helped write and administer the California Psychology licensing examination for many years
- Outstanding Innovator Award, May 2012
I have been interviewed on the following topics:
- Virtual Reality Therapy for Fear of Flying, Fear of Heights, and Fear of Public Speaking
- Coping with the Stresses of Lymphedema
- Protecting your Mental Health During Tough Economic Times
Interviews have appeared in the following newspapers and magazines: Fremont Argus, In the Flow, InsideKP NCal, Lymph Link, Lymphedema Matters, The New Fillmore, Oakland Tribune, Oncology Nursing Forum, Pathways, and San Jose Mercury News.
Television interviews have aired on KGO Channel 7 ABC News and Mental Health Matters.
Call me at 415-625-3565 to learn more or click Contact Me.